Sunday, November 24, 2013

DIY Monogram Door Mat

I love DIY projects and am thrilled to show you my take on a monogram door mat. After searching for the perfect one for my home and being disappointed by the price tags {Pottery Barn has one for $100} I decided to make one of my own...for UNDER $10. Yeah...that's right...UNDER $10. BOOM.

When I shared my DIY savings plan mat to my older sister she {relentlessly} asked me to make her one since she had just moved in to her new home. Well...the actual project only took me about an hour and a half, but it took me over 6 months of procrastinating to make it for her. oops!

Here's how to make it...

Supplies:
- Ikea Sindal Door Mat $4.99 purchase here
- Acrylic Black paint $3.47 purchase here
- Scissors
- Monogram {I used my google machine to find an image}
- foam paint brushes {you can get these @ any craft store}
- q-tips 
- painters tape
- small bowl
- circle to trace (I used a plate)
- measuring tape
Step 1: 
This is probably the most tedious step of them all, but I assure you...once it's done it is smooth sailing from there on out! It also doesn't help that my monogram was all fancy, curly and twisty.
Step 2:
Measure the mat from side to side & top to bottom to find the center. Lay down your plate to trace the circle.


Step 3:
Place your cut out monogram in the center of the circle and trace. Okay...so I may have fibbed to you during step one. Tracing the monogram might be a tad tricky...but I promise this is the last of my shenanigans! Don't forget to keep the monogram aside...you're gonna need it again.
{yes this is the same mat, but I've put my professional photography skills aside to help you make this}

Step 4:
We are almost done! Now it's time to paint. Break out your small bowl and pour the acrylic paint into it. Dab the paint brush into the paint and fill in the lines that you traced on your mat. Be sure to keep the monogram close by so you can reference which lines to fill in. It can be difficult to remember which lines to fill in when looking at the mat. After you fill in the monogram trace the circle with paint.
* I used the bigger sponge brush for the bigger lines and  a q-tip for the smaller ones. 
** Push down into the mat to make sure you really get the paint into the fibers. This will make the paint hold up better since people will probably be walking all over it!

Step 5: 
Hooray! You're in the home stretch. You have your letters and circle outline painted. Now you have to do the border. I measured 1" around all sides and used my blue painter's tape as an edge. You can make it smaller or larger if you choose. This one's all personal preference.

Step 6:
Let it dry for a few hours and ta-da...you just saved $90 + shipping and have a custom {gorgeous} doormat that will be the envy of all your neighbors. 

  {top right: my original doormat bottom right: today's project}










No comments:

Post a Comment