Wednesday, November 27, 2013

cranberry cravings

I don't know about you, but I am so excited about Thanksgiving and all the delish food that will be in my belly this time tomorrow! 
One of my favorite foods is cranberry sauce. It's not too sweet and a little bitter yet completely savory. mmm.
I hate to admit that a 30 something like me has NEVER had homemade cranberry sauce. I've only had the canned stuff. I figured this year would be my cranberry coming out party and my chance to break away from the fake stuff. I did a little online surfing and found so many easy recipes! I took a bit from all of my research and starting cooking.
I am proudly tooting my own horn because even my kids loved it...Here's my {new} favorite cranberry sauce! 

Ingredients:
2 bags fresh cranberries (24oz)
2 cinnamon sticks
2 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 TBS vanilla extract
1 TBS salt
Juice from 2 Satsuma Mandarin oranges 

Directions:
Dump all ingredients into a medium pot on medium-high heat. Listen for cranberries to "pop" open. They will literally make a popping sound. Stir occasionally. Remove cinnamon sticks once all cranberries are popped & saucy. Remove from heat, put in serving dish. You can refrigerate and serve later OR serve warm right away. It's that easy and I will NEVER buy canned cranberry sauce again.  



Hope you all have a great Turkey Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment