Tuesday, October 23, 2012

cold weather comfort food

It's that time of year when the rain starts falling and the cold crisp air welcomes the fall. It is also the BEST time to make my mom's albondigas {pronounced all-bon-dee-g-ahs} soup. It's a tomato broth vegetable soup with meatballs infused with rice...and did I mention it is delish!?
I have such fond memories of eating my mom's recipe growing up. My earliest recollection of having this dates back to when I was in Kindergarten {circa 1986}. Everyday after school my mom would cook this for me and let me watch a little TV. I get so nostalgic...


Grammie Norma's Albondigas Soup
*my mom doesn't use a recipe so the measurements were taken from this recipe and modified a bit as per her reccomendation.

meatballs
1 lb lean ground beef
¼ cup bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
2 garlic cloves, minced
 
¼ cup uncooked rice
½ cup cilantro leaf, chopped
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½  small zucchini, peeled & grated {an optional easy way to hide veggies in the meat for kids}
In a mixing bowl, fold together and lightly blend the meat, egg and bread crumbs. Next add the rice followed by the cilantro and remaining ingredients. Carefully scoop out small portions and form meatballs. Put aside until all are made so they all cook at the same time. Boil 3/4 pot full of water with meatballs for 30 minutes on medium to medium-low heat. You will know that  they are ready when you can see the rice start to pop out of the meat. Once this happens you may add the following to complete the soup:
soup
1 can tomato sauce
2 carrots, diced
2 potatoes, diced
2 zucchini, sliced
½ onion diced {optional}
salt & pepper to taste
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 cube chicken bouillon
Using the same pot as the meatballs {broth & all}, add tomato sauce and the rest of the ingredients. Cook for an additional 30 minutes or so until veggies are cooked. Garnish with cilantro & avocado. 
{mmm} 
A helpful hint to successful cooking is to always taste as you go...a good cook can taste the difference between something good and something GREAT!
 
{iphone pic}

No comments:

Post a Comment